Saturday, September 03, 2005

A Star

Dear Dr. Tarachand,

I don’t even know if there are souls. I really hope there are. Perhaps the souls can read all those electronic bits and bytes floating in space.

I am not going to let you die unsung. People don’t die. They live in our memories. I am going to do my level best to ensure that people know you and remember you.

Way back when I was not even born, you were one of the first few intelligent doctors who realized that the major drug companies were dumping untested medicines in the poorer countries and using people as guinea pigs. And you fought against it.

You worked so hard to help people all the time. You were so kind and generous! I know you spent your own money to buy medicines for your poor patients. I have met so many people who remember you as a kind, warm and giving person. People called you Dr. Tara or Dr. Chandra, the radiant star and the moon.

I know how you fought against corruption. I miss all those discussions about God and people.

No palatial homes, no flashy cars. A fine, strong, honest gentleman who stood firm against injustice and corruption, who worked very hard to help others, that is how I remember you.

Where ever you are; in heaven or a soul being reborn, I hope you are happy and at peace.

Greatest regards,
Nirupma

P. S. Please pass this link along. I know that there are a lot of people who knew Dr. Tarachand. We have just lost contact. Those of you who knew Dr. Tarachand and his work please contribute anecdotes, pictures or any other material that you have. I will upload it with your name and your ownership rights.