Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The Eyes of Life

They were roaming around to search for the open-air
Like a man finding a temple in him
Or a rat searching for Ganesha’s fair
When light in the routed and tired pairs going dim

They were stuck, trying to make sense
They were shocked to see the raining pair of eyes
When some of the liquid fell on my cheek making it tense
Then she cuddled me as I could feel her sobbing cries

There was another demon of which I was scared
They just closed themselves on seeing the black polished and jagged on top of the lips
No body could pull them but I dared
Then in happiness he smacked me on my hips

They were looking at the swinging world
The lampshade going round and round
And the women surrounding me as if I were an emerald
One of them picking me up and making me float above the ground

The instantaneous innovative images produced behind them
Making the brain go like a magnet
Cotton, fur, jute, hemp
None of these could find the target

They saw a new building
A stranger, a toy, a new object, all seemed exciting
Every day a new crop yielding
In them, there was a new lightening

They were looking for the perfect blend
Pleasure merriment and kindness
All of them I found in a friend
And surely, they were pleased to see him nevertheless

They were looking at the cosmic ocean
Sitting abandoned at the shore
She held my hand and told me to follow the notion
And made me believe you could get the moon stars and more

They are waiting to see more
Waiting fearlessly to face the darkness
Waiting for some one whom I could adore
Waiting to close in divine peacefulness

© N. Sarthak

Sarthak was born with a hole in his heart. I have known him since he was a small child. I have watched him fight against odds that were stacked heavily against him. All through, his parents, his grand parents, his doctors, aunts and uncles have stood by him; strong and unwavering.

The good news is that he has now grown into a fine young person, tall, with a strong pair of shoulders. The doctors say that there is only one more surgery to go, a change of valve after two years and all will be well.